The Colonel Scholarship
In October 2017, â€œ The Colonel Scholarshipâ€ was established with the Winona State University Foundation. The scholarship will benefit and encourage students who are majoring in Nursing.
1. Each recipient must be an undergraduate student enrolled full-time and in good standing at Winona State University (minimum of 12 credits per semester, Fall and Spring)
2. Each recipient must be a declared Nursing major
3. Each recipient must be accepted into the Nursing Program
4. Each recipient must be a Junior, Senior or 5th year student, with preference given to Veterans and active military
5. Each recipient must have a G.P.A of 3.0 or higher
6. Each recipient must demonstrate financial need, but need should not be based solely on FAFSA
7. Preference will be given to US Citizens
Background and Motivation
Susan â€˜Sueâ€™ Walton is a 1978 graduate of the nursing program at Winona State University. She went on to join the US Air Force after graduation, and spent 4 years on active duty, and 25 years in the AF reserves. Most of her military time was spent as a flight nurse transporting sick and injured. She continued her education graduating in 1988 from the University of Pennsylvania with a MSN as an Oncology Clinical Specialist and spent 30 years working in the field of oncology nursing. WSU set her on a path to be successful in life, and her hope is to help other aspiring nurses finish their education and move forward to be leaders in nursing.
During her time in the military, she had three outstanding mentors who helped her grow and develop into a successful nurse and leader. With this â€œColonel Scholarshipâ€ she is honoring those three mentors and their service to our country:
â€¢ Colonel Peggy Mullin
â€¢ Colonel Sharon LaFrance
â€¢ Colonel Francis Kimball