Jo Stejskal Scholarship for Leadership & Caring in Nursing
The Jo Stejskal Scholarship for Leadership and Caring in Nursing was established with the Winona State University Foundation. The scholarship will benefit and support students who are majoring in Nursing, encouraging them to become caring nurse leaders who engage in their community.
a. What does it mean to be a caring nurse leader?
b. How do you exemplify the WSU Nursing Department mission?
c. What are your future goals and aspirations?
1. Each recipient must be an undergraduate student enrolled full-time and in good standing at Winona State University (minimum of 12 credits per semester, Fall and Spring)
2. Each recipient must be a declared Nursing major
3. Each recipient must be in Term 3 of the Nursing program. The award will be for Terms 3 and 4, the last two semesters of the program.
4. G.P.A. may be a consideration if candidates are equally qualified in all other areas.
5. If candidates are equally qualified, preference will be given to those who are not receiving other scholarships.
6. As part of the application process for this scholarship, the student must submit an essay (no longer than 3 pages) addressing the following:
Background and Motivation
The Jo Stejskal Scholarship for Leadership and Caring in Nursing was established by Nursing alumni and friends in honor of Joâ€™s 41 years as an educator, mentor and leader in the Nursing Department at Winona State University.
Jo Stejskal earned her BS in Nursing from the College of St. Teresa, MS in Nursing from the University of Wisconsin, Madison and her EdD in Educational Leadership from the University of St. Thomas. She joined the WSU Nursing faculty in 1975 and retired in May 2016, leading the department as chair for nearly 20 years.
Dr. Stejskal has had a lasting impact on generations of nursing students. She was an inspiring teacher who deftly guided students through courses, clinical experiences and on into their careers. With compassion, she fostered both personal and professional growth, giving students lifelong skills and confidence.
Within the university and healthcare community, Dr. Stejskal has been integral to WSUâ€™s sterling reputation for excellent nursing education. She was a role model for a caring curriculum and mentor for innumerable faculty in the nursing profession. She is the consummate servant leader.
Jo is grateful for the opportunities Winona State provided her for professional growth and service. She is dedicated to educating the next generation of caring nurse leaders; having the opportunity to do so was her greatest reward.
Jo Stejskal lives by her motto of â€œpaying it forwardâ€. She has touched the lives of countless students who have gone on to touch the lives of others. This scholarship will continue Joâ€™s legacy for generations to come.