C.B. William Ng Chemistry Scholarship
The C.B. William Ng Chemistry Scholarship will benefit WSU students majoring in Chemistry.
1. Each recipient must be an undergraduate student enrolled full-time and in good standing at Winona State University (minimum of 12 credits per semester, Fall and Spring).
2. Each recipient must be sophomore or junior status with a declared major of Chemistry.
3. Each recipient must maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0.
4. Each recipient must demonstrate financial need through FAFSA.
5. Preference will be given to minority applicants.
C.B. William Ng, Professor of Chemistry, began his teaching career at Winona State University in 1986. He obtained his Ph.D. in Physical Chemistry from University of British Columbia, Vancouver, B.C., Canada. Before settling down in Winona, Bill, as hes commonly called, also taught one year each at Brandon University in Manitoba and University of Toronto in Ontario, Canada. Bill, an avid fisherman, who will retire in May 2016, and his wife, Nancy Kay Peterson, who retired from WSU in 2014 as the Director of Grants and Sponsored Projects, are both golfers and have plans to keep their home base in Winona, but will likely travel to warmer climates during MN winters. In the summers, Nancy and Bill will continue their weekly travels to their river-view trailer in Lynxville, WI
As an educator and an active member of the Faculty Association, Dr. William Ng believes that a community can be enhanced by having a responsible citizenry. Via a strong educational experience, students can embed their critical thinking skills and diverse values into any community and improve its environment. However, over the years, due to the decrease of legislative appropriations to higher education institutions, the cost to students and their parents has been rising in a rapid manner. Dr. Ng would like to help to lower the financial burden of well-deserving and financially-poor students. Therefore, the C.B. William Ng Chemistry Scholarship was established to provide financial relief for chemistry majors.