Dr. Shirley Newberry RN to BSN Annual Scholarship
In April 2018, the Dr. Shirley Newberry RN to BSN Scholarship was established as an annual fund in the Winona State University Foundation. The scholarship will benefit and encourage students in the RN to Graduate Nursing Pathway.
1. Each recipient must be an undergraduate student enrolled full or part-time and in good standing at Winona State University
2. Each student must by accepted into the RN to BSN program
3. Each recipient must demonstrate financial need, but need should not be based solely on FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid)
4. Preference will be given to students who are a single parent
5. Preference will be given to students that are not receiving any other financial aid
6. Preference will be given to students enrolled in the La Crescent program
Background and Motivation
This scholarship is in recognition of the challenges facing RN nurses advancing their careers by earning an BSN. Dr. Newberry achieved this progression as a single parent and recognizes the difficulty in returning to school while working and raising a family. Dr. Newberry was also the first full time faculty member at the La Crescent location of Winona State’s RN to BSN program. After working 17 years as a nurse in a variety of departments and roles, she earned a master’s degree in nursing and then a Doctorate degree in Community Health before teaching at Winona State for 23 years. Dr. Newberry encourages all nurses to keep learning to reach their full potential as care givers and in the nursing profession.