Gayle Olsen Graduate Nursing Scholarship
In December 2020, the Gayle Olsen Graduate Nursing Scholarship was established with the Winona State University Foundation. The scholarship will support and encourage students in the Graduate Programs in Nursing.
Each recipient must:
a. be a Graduate Nursing student enrolled full time and in good standing at Winona State University
b. have a G.P.A. of 3.5 or above
c. provide a 350-word essay that demonstrates:
* student dedication to excellence in care of underserved children and families
- student interest in decreasing health disparities
- student experience with addressing health disparities
- types of disparities the student has seen or experienced
- how the student would address health disparities individually, institutionally, educationally, or politically after graduation
Background and Motivation
The Gayle Olsen Graduate Nursing Scholarship was established in honor of Professor Emerita Gayle Olsen, MS, RN, PNP to honor her years of service as a nurse educator at Winona State University. Her teaching career was dedicated to challenging students to use their knowledge and skills to provide excellent, evidence-based care. She was particularly interested in addressing the needs of underserved children and families while paying attention to the pathophysiologic and psychosocial origins of illness. Her continued service as a pediatric nurse practitioner and researcher with vulnerable families within the community continues to inspire others.