Thomas Leuchtenberg Theatre Scholarship
The Thomas Leuchtenberg Theatre Scholarship is created for students who have declared a major in WSU’s Theatre & Dance Department.
• Each recipient must be a declared major in Winona State University’s Theatre & Dance Department
• Each recipient must be classified as a sophomore or junior and be in good standing at WSU with an overall grade point average (g.p.a. of 3.0 and a program g.p.a. of 3.0 (4.0=A))
• Each recipient must be enrolled full time at WSU
• Each recipient must submit a one to two page essay describing why they have chosen Theatre & Dance as a major and what their future professional goals/objectives are
• Each recipient must demonstrate financial need determined by the Financial Aid office FASFA report
The Thomas Leuchtenberg Memorial Scholarship Fund was established, in recognition of Thomas Leuchtenberg’s life long dedication to education. The endowment fund has been graciously funded by the philanthropy of Thomas Leuchtenberg through his estate gift.
Thomas E. Leuchtenberg of San Diego, CA, formerly of Mound, MN died October 27, 2007 at his home as a result of Pulmonary Fibrosis. Tom was born on March 19, 1944 to Florence and Edwin Leuchtenberg, who preceded him in death. He retired from the English Department at Orono High School in 1998.
Thomas graduated from Winona State University in 1966 with a major in Speech/Theatre and a minor in English. Thomas had a passion for teaching; he believed in everyone, all his students had talent and potential. His favorite line was “A.V.Y.D.T.?” (any volunteers you dumb turkeys). His students laughed everyday and left believing they were an important part of his class and school. He taught his students to respect each other and their differences, long before it was politically correct. Tom’s passion for teaching has shaped many lives and continues to shape the lives of future generations. A memorial garden was created in Thomas’s memory at the Orono High School.