Corey Goodnature Memorial Scholarship
The purpose of the Corey Goodnature Memorial Scholarship Fund is to establish a permanent fund to provide scholarships in Corey’s name to youth wishing to further their education.
1. Recipients must be classified as an undergraduate or graduate.
2. Each recipient must be enrolled as a full-time (12 credits per semester) or a part-time (6 credits per semester) at Winona State University.
3. Each recipient must be classified as a junior, senior, traditional, non-traditional student who is a veteran, in a commissioning program or an active service member.
4. There is not a GPA requirement
5. Students receiving tuition waivers from employers are not eligible and financial need should be demonstrated, however, it should not be based on FAFSA.
6. All majors and minors of academic study will be considered
7. An essay should be submitted with the application, based on the following:
• What are your future professional goals and how have leadership opportunities that you have been involved in better prepared you for obtaining them? In addition, how do you feel your military background / experiences will assist you in achieving those goals.
On June 28, 2005, a team of Navy SEALs came under intense fire in the rugged mountains of eastern Afghanistan. In answer to their urgent radio calls for assistance, a special group of men leapt at the challenge. The men assigned to the 160th Special Operations Aviation Regiment, based in Savannah, responded to the call. Two aircraft departed their firebase with a SEAL security team, in an attempt to rescue the stricken SEALs. During landing, the lead aircraft was hit by Taliban and Al-Qaeda fire and crashed on the mountainside below. All eight aircrew along with the eight fellow Navy SEALs were instantly killed
Chief Warrant Officer Three Corey Goodnature was the Flight Lead Pilot of that aircraft. Corey and his fellow soldiers made the ultimate sacrifice in an attempt to save others from harm. He and his crew responded to the challenge that day because that was their very nature. He’d rather die than quit, and he provided it that day. The 160th motto – “Night Stalkers Don’t Quit” – is how Corey lived his life. His devotion to that ethos and his fellow warriors was embodied in his death.
Corey’s last mission is highlighted in the movie and book titled “Lone Survivor”.
The purpose of the Corey Goodnature Memorial Scholarship Fund is to establish a permanent fund to provide scholarships in Corey’s name to individuals wishing to further their education.